Friday, August 18, 2006

JUNE 1987

RANDOLPH HIGH SCHOOL
ALUMNI NEWSLETTER
RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
JUNE 1987
GLORIA CAMPBELL GALLAGHER ('65)
4676 Barrett Street
Delray Beach, FL 33445
Hm: (305) 498-0157
Wk: (305) 392-1405'
THAT WAS THEN, THIS IS NOW
Remember when all we had to worry about was getting to our next class before the bell rang? Grade point averages? Saturday night dates? Winning the Friday night football game? Getting caught smoking in the bathroom? Remember the fun we had at the pep rallies? I remember marching on numb feet at the half time in the winter! I remember Bill loosing his contact lens on the field and when John Hartig broke his leg in a game. Who was it that kept setting off the fire alarms? I remember one especially fun time on a double date with Parl and Phil and Joyce. How about the parties we had at the stables? Remember the fun we had in Mr. Porter and Coach Nelson's classes? Did we learn anything? Mr. Posey's drama classes and plays were top notch. Mr. Scroggins tried so hard to teach us different ways of speaking English. In Civics class we learned to be political and to voice our opinions. Remember the summers around the pool? Getting a tan was one of the most important things besides who was dating who.
Remember.....
Remember twenty years ago? Sometimes some of us can't even remember last week! We have been hurrying to get where we are now and sometimes we have forgotten to take the time to remember and take a breath and cherish the moments. What has happened since those days? I'm sure you have discussed that at the Reunions with each other. But have you really talked, I mean really told the person you were talking to how much they mean to you. Have you looked at your wife, children, friends and parents and really told them that you love them? I think now that I am 40 and realizing that I am not immortal, it has occurred to me that I cannot go on without letting all of you know just how much I love each and every one of you. You have been a very big part of my life. I have taken my life for granted as well as my friends and relatives. I just take it for granted that you will all be around and one of these days I will take the time to tell you just how much I have enjoyed doing this and being a part of a very special relationship with some of the most special people around. I think that we all have to take stock of our lives and look around us and ask ourselves, who am I, where am I going and what do I have to offer? Have I done the thing I set out to do? Can I change the way I live? Am I really happy and satisfied? I know that some of us are very successful and some of us are still struggling with the fact that well, this just might be it! Do we really want to settle? We were the future we are in the future and we can't go back to those carefree days of high school, but we can make today count. Be good to yourself .... and look how far we've come!!!!!
THE YEARS ROLL BY...
I have been writing this newsletter for 13 years. We have learned lots of things about some of us. What happened? We went to college, married, had kids, graduated from college, began a career, got divorced, experienced a death, lost a best friend, got remarried, began a new career, gained weight, lost weight, gained more weight, lost hair, lived your dream or wondering what on earth your dream is. We have been sad and extremely happy, confused and self assured, rich, poor, "moderately well off". Some of us are beginning new lives and really taking seriously the saying "Life begins at 40"! The world goes on and so does life. What is in store now? Well, a lot of our children are in high school now and/or have already graduated. What can we tell them that will help them live their lives to the fullest? Your right, they won't listen...... but if we keep on trying to live the best way we can and do the best that we can and give ourselves and listen to our children, they will survive. It is really hard to let go and realize that our children are now adults and on the brink of their future. It's funny, but the transitions in life are so subtle and we think we can never face the fact that our daughters and sons will really grow up (because we really haven't grown up ourselves) but they do. Just remember, it really wasn't all that long ago that we were looking for that first job and that first apartment or trying to get in to that college or that university. In another twenty years we our grandchildren will be teenagers, can you take that???!!!! I am looking forward to that. of course I will still be writing this newsletter and probably will not look a day over 40!
THIS AND THAT
I am getting this newsletter out late (as usual). it gets later and later. I try to get this out in but lately it has been July and January, but I had Houston and San Antonio with a girlfriend, of mine and my son, Kelly. Strangely enough, I have known for 7 years and when we first met I found out that from Devine and that she was born in San Antonio. People actually got out of Devine? So, Carla had business in Houston and after two days there we rented a car and drove to San Antonio. It was kind of an adventure for both of us being alone and on our own. we had some funny things happen to us on the way and our plane reservations were screwed up and we had to stay an extra day, but we had so much fun. Carla visited her relatives in Devine after dropping me off with my friend, Ginger, her daughter and their 12 Labrador retrievers. Ginger lives in the same neighborhood as Mike Wysong so I got to visit with him and I telephoned several people at Randolph and saw some of Chuck's relatives (had an enjoyable lunch with Mrs. Pechuls and visited his sister MARY JANE and her family who are all well) as well as some of my old Schertz buddies. I also talked and saw some of you in Houston. I want to thank all of you who took the time to tell me what was going on with you and visit with you. I want to extend an invitation to any of you that find yourself in the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach area. We have room, come see us!
In Houston I saw JANET FRANCES. She is the Director of Community Centers in the largest precinct in Harris County. Son JOHN is in the Air Force and doing great! He is a Parachute Technician and soon will be attending college courses at night. Son JIMMY is at home and will be a junior in high school in the fall, if Janet doesn't kill him first. JANET and I reminisced a lot and she recalled the times when we went out to Lake Placid with CHUCK PFCHULS and DOUG McGTLL. We talked about being pregnant at the same time when we lived in San Antonio and the time we spent together with our husbands. JANET, SUSAN and I even attended Lee High School in Springfield, Va in 1963 together. SUSAN was out of town with her husband so I did not get to see her, but I understand that she is well. Both Janet's parents are living in San Antonio and doing just fine.
I also saw CYNTHIA VAN VORHIS ALLSHOUSE and we went shopping for a pair of cowboy boots for my son, Kelly and had a really enjoyable lunch. I'm afraid that she missed an appointment with her architect because we were having such a good time. CINDY is busy with various charity work and associations and helping BUCKY. He is real involved with the Alumni Association at RICE and has a booming law practice and I understand that he is quite prominent in the Houston area. His specialty is family law. I did speak to him at work and we had a great talk. They are still planning their new home and their builder is JOHN HARTIG. Thanks again for such enjoyable conversation and the wheels!
JOHN HARTIG is a General Contractor in Houston. JOHN tells me that people are not building like they use to but he has a good business. The economy for the blue coller guy is down because of the oil problem in Texas. JOHN and his wife, JANICE have a daughter LISA who is 21. I am sure LISA is beautiful and the way JOHN said his daughter's name I am sure that she has very loving parents.
I think every year June and December, a chance to visit and her daughter my friend, Carla, her Mom and Dad are Do you believe it?
I talked to PAM PRATT VILPS who was celebrating her 15th anniversary. CONGRATULATIONS. Pam's family is doing just fine. She has an interesting hobby turned business - jewelry designing and making. Now she is into buying and selling. Need a little bauble, call PAM she'll find it.
When I got to San Antonio I called the Allshousels - Cindy and Bucky informed me that CAROL will be staying with her parents for a while with her kids. I did get to talk to her, but she was having some dental problems and we never did get together. TOM is back in Hawaii poor thing! Administering hospitals is his game. They'll only be there one more year, so make your vacation plans now!!!
I talked to JACKIE DARLING ANDERSON. I was told that JEFF is now a Lt. Col. and is up for Col. GOOD LUCK. JEFF may just be the shortest, but cutest, General in the Air Force if he decides to hang in there. He already has 20 years in this year. He is stationed at Kelly A.F.B. and is in Electronic Security Command. They will probably be in San Antonio one more year. They still have a home in Colorado and that is where they would like to end up. Jeff's son SHAUN is 16 now and a Lt. in ROTC. A chip off the old block. Son, REAGAN, is 13 and in the National Honor Society. JACKIE is the Recruiting Coordinator at a large international law office in San Antonio. She has been there for 2 years.
Jackie told me that MICHAPLA ROCKY KEENAN and her husband, TIM are in Evergreen, Colorado - Tim is a medical illustrator and they have two daughters. MICHAPLA is still flying for American and has an international route.
I also had a very enjoyable conversation with MR. PORTER. We talked a lot about RHS and he told me how bad they thought we were until the 170's. Then they would think back on the old days and comment how good their student's used to be. Mr. Porter was at RHS for 18 years! He retired 6 years ago but is now looking into returning to teaching next fall. He told me some really hysterical stories. You should write some of them down, because I wasn't writing fast enough to get them all. He did have a little trouble when he referred to the band members as "Little Bandsters" once. "But Mr. Hall, I was misunderstood". Sorry we couldn't have gotten together.
I also spent some time with MIKE WYSONG. What can I say about a friend like him? MIKE has been a tremendous help to me and this project. MIKE and his son, MICHAEL, took the time to take me and my son, KELLY to dinner, and my girlfriend and our kids to the Bluebonnet Palace in Selma. MIKE has his own nut and bolt business and he still golfs a lot and he has been refurbishing this old sports car that takes up a good portion of his back porch and garage. I still think it is a waste of time...... but then again, if you do get it all back together, I want to be the first passenger.
MIKE sees and speaks to BILL BORELLTS quite often as I am now beginning to do. BILL has called several times during his travels with his insurance business with news of the people he has visited. He is doing quite well and his family is fine. His parents are still in San Antonio and sister, SHERRI lives in Nevada. SHERRI is the President of the State of Nevada Junior League.
I haven't heard from MIKE WAGNER in a few months but BILL tells me that he has just siqned a new contract with ABC. He has been busy developing a lot of new projects. I understand that his family is well and still beautiful!
I visited with COL. SMITH (Burleigh Smith's father) when I went to Universal City. He showed me some pictures of Burleigh and Barney at sister Lynn's wedding. Col. Smith's wife was off in another land traveling with a group overseas. All is well with them.
I received a letter from BILL KPM and his family. They are still involved in gymnastics and entertainment. Wife, SUZANNE, has been really busy with her own gymnastic business and their children are getting into local show business. Daughter CARA will be in the third grade this year and son KEVIN will be a 7th grader. BILL is involved in children's gymnastics and his team was fourth in the State of Oklahoma last year for Class III compulsories. He works as a stockbroker and focuses in the area of financial counseling.
In January I received a letter from TERRY SMILJANICH. He wanted to let me know that he was taking a leave of absence from his law firm to spend six months in Washington, D.C. to serve as counsel to the U.S. Senate Select Committee investigating the Tran-Contra affair!!!. Senator Sam Nunn nominated him and he was called by the head counsel and the rest is history. I haven't seen him on TV yet though. Terry what's happening and what is Fawn Hall really like? His wife DOROTHY is up there with him but they had to leave their dogs home in St. Petersburg. Please contact me when you get back to Florida or when you have a minute to let us in on the inside story.
In December I received a letter from RON BERGQUTST from Germany. He expects to stay around there until 1989. They bought a house in a small farming village. He is stationed at Ramstein. His has run into JIMMY WATKINS since he is also stationed there as a Lt. Col. Ron's wife teaches math at the high school and they really love being there. Ron sent me a business card from a restaurant named "RESTAURANT JUGOSLAVIJA" The proprietors were named Fam. Smiljanic. Needless to say I forwarded it on to Terry who really got a kick out of it. Thank you for the picture.!!
Oh, yes, JIMMY FIDLER was down here for a boat show and came up and we went to lunch together sometime in February I think. we had an enjoyable time and caught up on old times. Thanks for lunch Jimmy and next time it's on me.
Congratulations to JON AND TERRI GOODFLEISCH on the birth of MARGFAUX HELLA December 12, 1986. Their other child is daughter, MARLENE and is about 2 years old.
EARL DODGION writes that his family is fine. wife, MYRNA is in school full time at Adams State. Son, TROY will be in second grade and son, KEVIN will be a Junior this year. Son, BLAINE is five. EARL says that his dental practice is going great guns but it does interfere with his basketball league and skiing. He has kept in touch mostly with GARY BIRD who we all know and love and is that famous New Braunfels family practitioner!
SUE LIVINGSTON JOHNSON wrote at Christmas and told me that she is teaching third grade and working on her master's degree in Elementary Ed. Her husband STEVE is still a good oll Coors. Daughter AMY will be in eighth grade this year and is a horseback rider. Thank you for the lovely family picture, including son, MICHAEL.
PAT MANGANELLO FALFS is a real estate broker in Burke, Virginia near D.C. She is a top producer at her company and is contemplating a possible move as a partner in another firm. She even sold a house to JOANNA DYAS and her husband. Her husband DAVE just retired from the Air Force after 20 years. He has taken a new job as a systems analyst in Arlington. Daughter, DFP DPP had her first year at college and is majoring in business. Son, ERIC is over 6 feet now and will be a Junior in high school this year. He is attending Lee High School in Arlington. (Hey I know where that is) .... Thank you for the picture.
NANCY OLSEN GIAMBALVO also sent pictures of her kids MARISA who is 10 and ROSS who is 7. They are also living in Virginia now where husband, JERRY got transferred. They are trying to get used to the fast paced living there. She has now starting substituting teaching and has enjoyed that. They will be remodeling their new home and settling in to the swing of things.
In April I got a nice long letter from PAM MURRAH STURGIS and her husband GRAHAM. They are back in the states, and were in Richardson, Texas and I understand that they will probably be in Maryland by now. They were in Saudia Arabia for 61 years. Before they left they toured Europe in their new car. Graham's company wanted him to go to Los Angeles and they did not want to go there, so he changed jobs. He is now with Westinghouse. Their children, BRFNDON, 8 and DREW, 5 have never been to school in the states and excited about that. Everyone is adjusting to the faster pace of the states and PAM is just glad that she can now go places in a car and not have to bicycle everywhere (women can't drive in Saudi Arabia). Glad to have you guys back here. Let me know when you are settled in your new home.
The most recent person I have heard from is KRIS STRAND MEYER. She has taken a big step and has gotten a divorce from her husband and lost some weight. She is living in Sacramento now with her kids and is planning on a visit to her parents' home in San Antonio around July 8th for a few weeks. Her plans are still undecided but she plans to stay in California until her daughter graduates next year, but she would really like to come to San Antonio to live eventually. Like you said KRIS, you really never know what is going on with a person until you speak to them. We are all pulling for you KRIS, hang in there.
Well, that is about it. I received a card from DONNA GRECO MURRILL and family and also a note from the HARRY JOHNSON family, but I have no news about them. Three newsletters were returned. Dewey Brown, Bill Bradford and Ginny Garrett. Do you know where they are? I would really like to have Dennis Bianchils address.
DONATIONS
THANKS A MILLION FOR THE GENEROUS DONATIONS FROM: BILL KPM, JAMPT WATKINS JENDRON, EARL DODGION, PAT MANGANELLO FALPS, RON BPRGQUIST, TERRY SMILJANICH, HARRY JOHNSON, JIMMY FIDLER, KRIS STAND, JANET FRANCIS and COL. SMITH. Hope I didn't miss anyone. YOU KEEP MP GOING WITH NOT ONLY YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS BUT YOU CONTINUOUS ENCOURAGFMPNT. THANK YOU.
ME
DANNY and I are always happy to hear from you and welcome anyone to come a visit. DANNY has recently gotten a promotion to the finance department at Sherwood Pontiac. My daughter, ALLISON has graduated from high school and has a job and enjoyed a quick trip to Dallas. She has a boyfriend she is madly in love with and just enjoys life. My sons, MARK and KYLE are the best looking guys I know (their age) and will be Juniors next year. They both have girls and are doing nicely in school and both have jobs in their father's furniture refinishing business. My baby, KELLY, will be starting Kindergarten next year! I have been promoted to office manager in the law firm that I have been with for the past 61 years. Should not be any challenge because I have had that responsibility for the last few years, just not the recognition. As my husband says, "IT'S NOT THE, MONEY, IT'S THE RECOGNITION".
LOVE TO YOU ALL AND HAVE AN ENJOYABLE SUMMER AND FALL AND I WILL BE BACK TO YOU SOMETIME?? IN DECEMBER. SURE WOULD LIKE TO VISIT WITH EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH OR PICK UP THE TELEPHONE AND CALL.
LOVE YOU ALL....... GLORIA

No comments: